Even though we have large projects going on it doesn't usually mean we don't have about five smaller projects going on at the same time. It's usually with the changing of the seasons I start making lists of the "need to do's" and the " Want to-dos" . I also have my separate lists (Did I mention I love to make lists) I make for myself that doesn't require my husband and I can get done myself during the days while he works. Recently working remotely from home has allowed me to check so many things off my list, one major thing stayed and that was the shed.
When we bought the house the shed was in rough shape. We thought about tearing it down and rebuilding but at the same time couldn't afford to lose the storage space because at that time we didn't have the garage so it was a catch-all summer/beach stuff, gardening tools and kids outdoor toys in the winter. So we decided to keep it. We replaced all the rotten trim, installed new shingle siding, and replaced the old three-tab roofing with new architectural shingles. We used two windows that my father in law removed from a job site. It wasn't much but it was night and day to what was originally there. If you're looking straight at the building we removed the small room to the left of the shed. It wasn't built properly and obviously was added later on. We thought it would make for a good spot for our chicken coop since we wanted to utilize the space behind the shed for chickens anyways. To the rear of the shed, someone has built a makeshift wall by piecing together pieces of plywood and using windows with older single pane glass. Most of the windows were broken and need serious attention. One day my husband went to work and I was watering our garden, I took one look at the wall and knew I had to take it down. I know what you're thinking but my husband is used to this, I don't think there is a day he comes home and doesn't ask what I've been up to....that's gotta be a good sign?
It didn't take me long to get a majority of the walls down. Each tiny piece of plywood was screwed on but luckily was no match for me and my drill. Over the plywood was layers of asphalt roofing that I removed by hand along with the broken windows. When my husband got home from work we used 2 X 4's to brace and support the overhang while we cut out the remaining wall and posts to make way for the new cedar posts.
Once the exterior wall was completely removed we dug down an additional three feet so that the headspace under the overhang was enough a 6-foot man could comfortably walk under without ducking his head. For the new post, we used cedar 4 X 4 posts. They're usually around $25-$30/post depending where you live. I kind of have an obsession with cedar. It fit so well with my modern farmhouse look and light sand and stain and they're good as new.
With the new posts in, we're ready to empty the stuff we had stored underneath and get the rest of it dugout. Next, we will focus on staining the posts and the sidewall on the back of the shed. We are planning on getting goats and chickens so we are looking for something that is "farm proof" I'll let you know what I come up with .
HI, I'm Meagan -aka Meg, I'm here to share what it's like Living, Working & renovating life on Cape Cod . We're making our house a home one renovation at a time. Home wasn’t built in a day, but the journey is half the fun.